Continuing our “Have it All Moms “ series, the next mom I wanted to highlight is Edie Mcrae, the inspirational owner of Millionaire Moms Inc. and former direct sales/ network marketing maven out of Houston, Texas.
For those unfamiliar with Edie’s current business, Millionaire Moms Inc. is actually social media consulting firm dedicated to helping moms grow their businesses online
And who better to teach moms on this topic than Edie, as she learned how to leverage and grow her direct sales business through social media before social media was even cool!
But going back to the start of her entrepreneurial journey, Edie was actually a nurse that got started in the direct sales industry when she decided to stay home and raise her kids (now ages 5 and 7). Now mind you, the notion of blogging and social media was still evolving in 2003, but Edie managed to build a large direct sales business entirely online—to the point that she belonged to the top 2.5% of her company’s leadership.
Yet, Edie didn’t stop there. Realizing social media was such a powerful tool that other moms could learn and utilize from the comfort of their own home, she then decided to start her social media consulting firm in 2009 to personally teach WAHM’s how to duplicate her tremendous success.
And within just a few short months of starting Millionaire Moms Inc., Edie now has a waiting list of clients looking to take advantage of her coaching and virtual networking skills.
I mean, who wouldn’t want to duplicate Edie’s success? In 2008 while just “dabbling” in direct sales (and simultaneously laying the foundation for her new consulting business), Edie managed to bring in an additional $55,000 to her household! That’s more than some of the teachers or local professionals I know that are literally slaves to their full-time jobs!
But beyond the issue of steady income, Edie sees her business ventures and the notion of “having it all” from a different perspective. She says:
“For me, it’s the ability to show my children that you can have a balanced family life while still pursuing your dreams. I do make sacrifices to grow my business, but I put first things first! Family is first always. Does that mean that I will make every soccer game or class party? Probably not! But I DO know that I will never miss something TRULY significant in their lives because of being tied to a job that I despise. Having it all isn’t always about how much money you generate. Sometimes it is about the opportunities you have to make a life while you’re making a living.”
She also credits much of her success to a very supportive husband, extended family and mentors from the Greater Houston chapter of eWomen Network. This network has literally inspired her to stay focused, get organized and keep reaching out for new levels in her business.
Finally, Edie does have one free and INVALUABLE tip for moms looking to “have it all,” which is: “Decide what you stand for and NEVER waiver. No amount of income is worth compromising your integrity. “
I couldn’t agree more.
Congratulations Edie and good luck with your new venture!
1. Your Full Name: Edie McRae
2. Please Describe Your Business or Businesses: I am a nurse turned WAHM who spent close to 6 years in the direct sales industry. I build a large business entirely online and belonged to the top 2.5% of the entire company’s leadership. After utilizing social media tools to build that business successfully, I decided to take a different path. I chose to step out on my own and help other women apply the power of online networking to their businesses. Millionaire Moms Inc™ is my Social Media Consulting firm.
3. What Are the Gross Revenues From All Your Businesses: Last year just over $55,000 (but was still in Direct Sales) However, with Web 2.0 tools becoming more mainstream, the growth of my business is explosive! I literally have a waiting list . ?
4. Number of Kids and Their Ages: Two Children, ages 7 and 5…both boys!
5. When Did You Start Your Business(es): I launched Millionaire Moms Inc™ in January 2009, but have been marketing online since 2003.
6. What Does Having It All Mean to You? For me, it’s the ability to show my children that you can have a balanced family life while still pursuing your dreams. I do make sacrifices to grow my business, but I put first things first! Family is first always. Does that mean that I will make every soccer game or class party? Probably not! But I DO know that I will never miss something TRULY significant in their lives because of being tied to a job that I despise. Having it all isn’t always about how much money you generate. Sometimes it is about the opportunities you have to make a life while you’re making a living.
7. What Kind of Support Do You Have At Home? I am married to the BEST man in the world. He knew that I could do this long before I did. I’m so blessed to have a spouse who loves me and supports me in all my endeavors. He even helps pick up the slack because sometimes I just can’t do it all. That’s where a great support network comes in to play. I also have a phenomenal extended family who cheers me on to success.
8. What Kind of Support Do You Have At the Office? Since I’m in a “virtual” business, I office out of my home. However, I’ve been fortunate to develop an entire network of femtors (female mentors) through the Greater Houston chapter of eWomen Network. They give new meaning to the phrase, “Roots and Wings”. The women of that group truly helped me to determine what I wanted to be when I grew up. They have been amazing sounding boards, cheerleaders and inspiration!
9. What is your #1 tip for other moms who want to have it all, but can’t figure out how to do it. Decide what you stand for and NEVER waiver. No amount of income is worth compromising your integrity.