Continuing our series, this week’s “Have it All Mom” is Latochia Phillips Givens, a solo-law practitioner and mother of two.
Through her solo-practice law firm, Latoicha assists other “digital moms,” entrepreneurs and online business owners in the area of intellectual property–which includes trademarks, copyrights, licensing and new media.
And since the start of her firm in 2004, Latoicha has earned a comfortable $80,000 a year without sacrificing the flexibility and availability necessary for her husband and two small children (which can be a rare concept in the legal world).
Yet she would be lying if she didn’t say that her wonderful husband hasn’t been an instrumental part of pursing her dreams. According to Latoicha, “My husband supports me 100% at home. He takes up the slack financially and emotionally when I am struggling in these areas”.
And when she’s not working or hanging with her family, Latoicha also runs a Luxe Tips, a beauty blog featuring tips and hot products that won’t break the bank (which I admit had me glued for a good 20 minutes).
So what’s Latoicha’s final tip for other moms that want to “Have it All” but aren’t sure how to do it?
“Ask for help when you need it. Having it all can be stressful so make sure you have support chain to assist you when you need it”.
And of course, I agree wholeheartedly with that statement!
So congrats Latoicha on your efforts and for striking a balance in an otherwise stressful and demanding field.
*Please see the responses below for Latoicha’s complete answers to my interview questions.
1. Your Full Name: Latoicha Phillips Givens
2. Please Describe Your Business or Businesses: My business is a solo-practice law firm. My practice area includes intellectual property, specifically trademarks, copyrights, licensing and new media.
3. What Are the Gross Revenues From All Your Businesses? The Gross Revenue from my business is $80K per year.
4. Number of Kids and Their Ages? My kids ages are: 4 years old and 1 year old.
5. When Did You Start Your Business(es)? I started my business in 2004.
6. What Does Having It All Mean to You? Having it all means that I am able to pursue my professional interests while also being available for my children and husband. It means having flexibility.
7. What Kind of Support Do You Have At Home? My husband supports me 100% at home. He takes up the slack financially and emotionally when I am struggling in these areas.
8. What Kind of Support Do You Have At the Office? Right now, I am pretty much a one woman show at the office. However, when I need assistance, especially when working on a big client matter, I will hire an hourly assistant.
9. What is your #1 tip for other moms who want to have it all, but can’t figure out how to do it? My number one tip for moms who want to have it all is: ask for help when you need it. Having it all can be stressful, so make sure you have a support chain to assist you when you need it!